Saturday, June 4

Concert in Athenaeum - May 2011

I don't quite know why I got so stressed about this concert. Maybe the reason is that I had so little time to practice - in the end I only managed to practice a maximum of 2 hours daily. (I remember now my RCM days, when I had all the time of the world and I used to practice 4-5 hours a day...).
My program consisted of:
i. Schumann - Kinderszenen, op. 15.
ii. Rachmaninoff - Prelude in F sharp minor, and Etudes Tableaux 0p.33 no 4, and op. 39 no 1 and 6.
iii. Bach - 2nd English Suite in A minor
iv. Prokofiev - a selection of small pieces, including a transcription of "Romance" from Lieutenant Kije.

As an encore, I played a wonderful transcription by Egon Petri, of a Bach's cantata ("May the Sheep Safely Graze").

Around 40 people came, most of them friends and colleagues, and the atmosphere was warm and cosy. It's so strange, one is really stressed the days before the concert, but normally on the day of the concert itself all intense feelings seem to die down. So, when I actually sat on the piano (a beautiful Steinway), I felt quite relaxed.
The concert hall is located in one of the nicest areas of Athens - Thisseion, just opposite the Acropolis, in a street that is now fortunately pedestrianised.

All in all, I think it went ok. Best performance was possibly Prokofiev (I realised once more how at ease I feel with his music despite its technical difficulty).

No more concert in the near future! But I am looking forward to a couple of recordings I'll make for youtube... So... stay tuned!



No comments: