Tuesday, May 29

Pictures at an Exhibition: a somewhat heretical view...

I was listening to this work the other day, in a highly praised (live) recording made by Sviatoslav Richter in Prague. It is indeed a great recording (one of many of this work made by the great pianist), actually one of the best I’ve ever heard. And, again, I had this disturbing thought that I want to share with you… It is a work that, to me, does not “fit” well with the piano. There is something annoyingly un-pianistic about it. I know I am an exception about what is commonly believed to be the piano piece par excellence! But it is enough for someone to hear Ravel's marvelous orchestral transcription to realize how much better the work sounds in its orchestral version. The big and long chords, the various effects, the huge dynamics, the vast variety of colors – all these can best be served by a large orchestra; such is the “size” of the sound that a piano, however powerful the interpreter, falls short in comparison with the orchestra. I cannot help but thinking that Mussorgsky had an orchestral sound in mind when composing his Pictures

I apply what I said to this work only, not as a general rule. Actually, in most cases (if not all), the original composition  always stands above any transcription. And, in the past, I've written about the danger of composing deplorable transcriptions when the transcriber does not “respect” the limits of the instrument to which he/she is transcribing. 

I remember practicing the Pictures when in London, in 1999. It is a huge work requiring real guts to play it in public… After practicing the piece on-and-off for a couple of months, I eventually gave up on it. I like hearing it from time to time though. No doubt, this is a monumental piece of music; yet my concerns about its pianistic qualities are always there...

No comments: