Friday, June 25

The Concert Pianist

Kissin managed to suprise me once more!
I was listening to his recording of Brahms' Second Hungarian Dance (in RCA). It's such a lively and dynamic account of this beautiful dance! One can easily discern Kissin's rare musical qualities: the perfect control of his sound, a huge tonal palette and an incredible dynamism - all these elements make for an altogether exceptional case of pianist. Some of his recordings remain unsurpassable for me - take, for instance, his extraordinary performance of Liszt's "Chasse-Neige" transcedental study.


I sometimes wonder - and I want to put this down on my diary as sincerely as I can: what sort of happiness can really be found in living the life of a concert pianist? Kissin travels all the time around the globe giving concerts (I presume) every other day. I honestly wonder, how can happiness and inner peace be reconciled with a life of constant traveling, staying all the time in gloomy hotel rooms, loneliness, practicing all the time, playing for thousand of unknown people who are (in their vast majority) ready to bury the pianist at his first mistake or an unsuccessful rendering of a work, with being always on perfect and immaculate form...

I wish I had Kissin to explain to me what are the pleasures and consolations of such a life... I suppose that he might have replied that it is in music that he finds the source of every joy; yet again, I fail to understand how music - much as I adore it- can represent such an exclusively important factor in life, how it can, per se, make life meaningful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True, a concert pianist's (or any career instrumentalist's) life must have its many difficult sides. But I think that to discover at some early point in life that there is something that you are insanely good at, while at the same time it's deeply human and you like doing it, must be a very powerful feeling and situation. I think it may almost leave no choice to the person that finds themselves in it, but to follow their 'call', their vocation, however one names it. It must be full of excitement and hopes of happiness in the beginning, and only with time the glitter may fade and leave one with less hope for constant excitement and more wisdom. Or, Kissin may have been wise from the beginning and known it all, who knows. In any case, it seems that nothing in life is without a price.
Monika